Test Shield Battery...

Notifications
Clear all

Test Shield Battery LiPo for Wemos D1 Mini (voltage measurement and level of charge)

christophe
Admin
Topic starter
(@chris)
wpf-cross-image

We continue our series of Shields presentation articles (expansion boards) for the ESP8266 Wemos D1 Mini. An essential shield for the realization of connected objects, models or micro-robotics is the Shield Battery.

Sold less than €3 direct from china, it allows to power the Wemos D1 Mini using a rechargeable battery and to manage…

7 Replies
f689f00ee8171ed7f7f7310572b43f97?s=80&d=mm&r=g
 waris
(@waris)

Hi, Is there any way I can control the charging of a battery via ESP8266 using this board???

1 Reply
christophe
Admin
(@chris)

Hello Waris. No. I think it's totally automatic

f689f00ee8171ed7f7f7310572b43f97?s=80&d=mm&r=g
 waris
(@waris)

Hi CHRISTOPHE,

Thank you for your reply, can you suggest me any board or any idea that I can use to control the charging of a battery via ESP8266. (Thanks in advance)

2 Replies
45a8f4542632061bcf757dd1a9996a54?s=80&d=mm&r=g
 Rob
(@Rob)

Warris, There is ton's of information on battery charging on the internet. For Lithium batteries you need to use constant-current and constant-voltage charger. The ESP8266 is not best geared for this. You can monitor the battery voltage though.

christophe
Admin
(@chris)

Yes it's true the ESP8266 is starting to age but it is still brave 🙂

45a8f4542632061bcf757dd1a9996a54?s=80&d=mm&r=g
 Rob
(@Rob)

Hi Christophe,

Some remarks to your article

The absolute maximum voltage of a LiPo battery cell is 4.20 volt. do not go higher than that. Assure you can measure within 1% accuracy. The battery life expectancy will be reduced if you go over the limit.

The discharge voltage of any battery is not not at all linear to its state of charge. But if you are only interested in the "Full" and "nearly empty" states, the approach will suffice.

The "board" function should be named "map".

Replace "welding" with "soldering".

1 Reply
christophe
Admin
(@chris)

Hello Rob. Thank you very much for your very insightful comments. I have just incorporated them into the article.

Share:
Join Us!
Recent Posts
Last Articles
DIY Projects
DIY Projects