Clear all

ESP8266, Deep Sleep mode test, wake up with a PIR motion detector

Page 1 / 3

christophe
Admin
Topic starter
(@chris)
wpf-cross-image

The ESP8266 module has the deep sleep mode which allows to put it in hibernation to save the battery. You can wake up the module at regular intervals to make measurements and publish them on a server. The RESET pin (RST) is also used to wake the ESP8266. For example, the rising edge (the signal)…

26 Replies
af532caff20c4af81186a47a0e50c670?s=80&d=mm&r=g
 Mark Roles
(@Mark Roles)

First off, thank you for the great insight on how to conserve energy on our beloved ESP8266, however you state that the BC547 transistor's collector (pin 3) is connected to the GND, but in the pictorial schematic you have it tied to the RESET pin of the ESP8266.

And when I look the data sheet for a BC547 (which you have named as BC457 for the link to the product) , leg 1 is the collector and leg 3 is the emitter.

So either the pictorial of the transistor showing the numbering of the legs is wrong, or the pictorial of your schematic is wired up wrong to correctly bias the transistor to the way you wanted

59cfc65a1e8b3c5516e15d7e24228fa0?s=80&d=mm&r=g
 Nail Yusupov
(@Nail Yusupov)

Thank you for the article but unfortunately the example doesn't work for me:( D1 Mini doesn't want to wake up. I've tried to change polarity of transistor after reading Mark Roles' comment, but got the same result

0832c59c3f83acae35e1193626d8903b?s=80&d=mm&r=g
 Tim
(@Tim)

On this one: "Errors when uploading an Arduino program when deep-sleep mode is enabled" there are different forum posts saying using a resistor (470R, 350R or even 220R seems to work) or a diode works perfect.

I used a 470ohm resistor to connect the deepsleep 'solderpads' (or you can connect RST to D0(=GPOIO16) via this resistor, and now I can either upload a sketch or just use the d1 mini like it should, with having the device already setup as it will be in the final project.

7cdbb62ef02c3b0f132b35acf21d4cd5?s=80&d=mm&r=g
 John
(@John)

Great article! Very well explained. Have you tried having a nodemcu that is in deep sleep and it's subscribing to an mqtt topic. When it wakes up, it checks for new messages on that topic and performs an action and then goes back to deep sleep? Thanks again

Page 1 / 3
Share:
Join Us!
Recent Posts
Last Articles
DIY Projects
DIY Projects