If the WiFi coverage is not sufficient (in a garden for example), it is possible to make connected objects that communicate with a home automation server or a radio wave application. The nRF24L01 modules operate at a frequency of 2.4GHz. The average range in free field is 100m. A version with external antenna (nRF24L01+PA+LNA) allows to reach 1km (according to the manufacturers) in free field.
Which module nRF24L01 to choose?
- Brought desired:
- Indoors, a few dozen meters
- Outdoor. The receiver (the gateway) will be inside the
- Configuration: in a House, outdoor, mixed
- Wall: thickness, constitution (reinforced concrete doesn’t really help), number
- Flat terrain or relief
- Vegetation, fence
- Electromagnetic disturbance: transformer, pumps…
- Statement of data or actuator control simple (relay…). A low data rate will be enough
- Data Acquisition. Little data but a high frequency.
Whatever the application, the best is to install a antenna high performance (at least 6dBi) on the gateway to ensure best reception of the data. Equipped with a SMA connector, it will replace the 2dBi antenna that team usually cheap Asian modules.
|Without external antenna
|With 2dBi antenna
Medium or long distance
Replace the antenna (6 dBi or more) to increase the range or difficult environment
To learn more, you can read this comprehensive guide that addresses the following:
- Transmission error message (! TSM: FAILURE)
- Which radio module nRF24L01 to choose?
- Which antenna to choose?
- Regulated 3V3 power supply, easier wiring and less (without) noise
- MySensors v2 library: impossible to present a node after an upload
Radio module nRF24L01 deals
Adapter with regulated 3.3V power supply
The nRF24L01 radio modules are very sensitive to the quality of the power supply. It is advisable to use an adapter that embeds a quality regulated 3V3 power supply.
If you’re new to radio-connected objects, here are some tutorials that should help you
- Use Node-RED to create a gateway between MySensors and Blynk (local server)
- Node-RED (Tutorial): saving MySensors measurements on InfluxDB
- ser2net: Serial USB Gateway to Ethernet. Test on RFLink with Domoticz
- MySensors v2: measurement of temperature and humidity (DHT11/DHT22)
- #Guide, how to increase the range of nRF24L01 radio modules of MySensors v2 projects (hardware, configuration)
- MySensors v2: decode/send messages with Node-RED
- Node-RED: How to integrate a connected object developed with MySensors v2 library
- Homebridge – Domoticz: control MySensors objects with Siri on iOS10
- How to make a MySensors v2.0 WiFi Gateway with an ESP8266. Test with Domoticz
- MySensors v2 – Discover, news, migrate old sketchs (1.4 or 1.5)
Radio (433MHz, LoraWan, Sigfox...) | GPRS
Output | Relay: 0