The EleksMill from EleksMaker is a small, rugged 3-axis CNC milling machine (X-Y-Z). It is available in two versions. The basic version is delivered with an electro-spindle with a power of 30W (available here in case of breakdown). It will be able to receive a tool of engraving, a drill or a strawberry 2 sizes. It will quickly find its place in the workshop of a Maker. It will be ideal for drilling PCBs, etching operations or small machining. The power is sufficient to machine polymer materials (acrylic, nylon, bakelite …), wood or soft metals (copper, aluminum).
The full version includes in addition to the electro-spindle a blue laser (445-450nm) with a power of 500mW for making engravings. The tool change is very simple (see the end of the video) in a few seconds.
The useful working volume is 130 x 90 x 40 mm. To obtain good machining stability, the structure is made using aluminum profiles and white acrylic plates. The machining table is also made of aluminum profile. The grooves of the profile will be used to fix the parts to be machined or engraved. All assembly steps are available on Eleksmaker WiKi here.
All EleksMaker EleksMill mini CNC milling machine discounts
Engraving, drilling and machining tools discount
Prohibited and possible materials in laser engraving
Laser engraving is not an innocuous activity. There may be risks with some materials. The Swiss University of Geneva listed on this page several materials to prohibit in laser engraving. they are essentially polymeric materials that can melt or burn (ABS, EPS, EPP, PE-HD, PC) or release harmful gases (PVC, synthetic leather, fiberglass, carbon fiber, PTFE) or carcinogenic (MDF) .
Here are some materials that may be suitable according to the University of Geneva *:
- Acrylic glass, plexiglass GS or plexiglass XT
- Polyester or Polyurethane (PU), some of which are: Cellasto®, Elastocoat®, Elastoflex®, Elastofoam®, Elastolit®, Elastopal®, Elastopan®, Elastopor®, Lupranol®, Baydur®, Bayfill®, Bayflex®, Baylit®, Baymer®, Baytherm®, Desmodur®
- Cardboard, paper
- Solid wood but not the MDF (medium-density fiberboard) nor the plywood. MDF is obtained by agglomeration and gluing crushed wood residues
- Textile. Be careful that the engraving head does not catch on the move
(*) Indicative information in the current state of knowledge of the toxicity of materials in November 2017. Please observe the safety instructions of the manufacturers.
Wear protective goggles!
Attention, the wearing of protective glasses is obligatory during the engraving. A pair of goggles is usually delivered in laser engraving kits. In case of loss, breakage or to equip your friends, you can buy separately protective glasses suitable for laser engraving. Be careful to choose a pair of protective glasses adapted to the wavelength band emitted by your laser. Here are some classic wavelengths:
- Blue laser: 360 ~ 490nm. The most used in engraving
- Green laser: 520 ~ 540nm
- Red laser: 590 ~ 690nm
- Infrared: 1064nm
Two products that may be suitable
|For blue / violet laser 200 to 500nm OD4+. Glasses delivered in EleksLaser kits||Filter from 360nm to 1064nm. IPL-2 OD+4D|
- All prices mentioned above are in United States dollar.
- This product is available at Aliexpress, Banggood, FastTech, TOMTOP Technology Co., Ltd, Ebay.
- At aliexpress.com you can purchase 2017 EleksMill new 3-axis CNC Micro Mini Desktop CNC engraving machine GRBL control working area 13x9x4cm for only $237.60, which is 57% less than the cost in TOMTOP Technology Co., Ltd ($557.82).
- The lowest price of EleksMaker Multi-functional EleksMill 500mw USB CNC Micro Engraving Machine Carving Engraver Carver DIY Laser Printer with Laser Module was obtained on 15 January 2019 18 h 24 min.