The Armbian 5.35 update is available. This is a version announced as major. It is based on the Linux 4.13 kernel. This release also adds support for the U-Boot v2017.09 system and the off-touch 7 “touchscreen for Raspberry Pi. The Realtek 8811AU/8812AU/8814AU WiFi chips are now natively supported by the kernel. Version 5.35 is now based on Debian Stretch as is Raspbian for Raspberry.
This release also adds support for several Allwinner SoC-based development boards. The Odroid C2 and XU4 cards have been reintegrated into the main branch of the project. Olimex Lime2 and Micro card eMMC memory support is now supported. Several development boards are now supported experimentally. This is the case of the cards Potato, NanoPi NEO 2, Orange Pi Zero Plus, Orange Pi Zero Plus 2 (H5).
Armbian’s stable images for NanoPi Duo, Orange Pi R1 and Pinebook cards are available at the same time as version 5.35.
The Desktop version still includes the XFCE desktop, an OpenVPN connector, new wallpaper and fixes many bugs.
The armbian-config configuration utility presented in this article (the equivalent of raspi-config on Raspbian) gains some very useful features:
- Manages the hardware configuration of the cards: SSH server, Bluetooth, hotspot
- Time zone configuration, hostname,
- Freeze / unfreeze the kernel update
- Choice between stable version or armbian development
- Installs / uninstalls kernel headers
- Enable / disable the RDP server
- Diagnostic Utility
- The third-party software installer is always present. It allows to quickly install Samba, Pi Hole, Transmission, OMV …
To update your distribution, open a Terminal and then run these two commands
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
The images (server or desktop) of compatible cards are available on the download page here. If you’re having video display issues, follow this tutorial to install Armbian without a keyboard or mouse using an FTDI cable.
armbian-config still does not configure the keyboard. To configure the keyboard, you must be logged in as root. If not, run
Then, run the following command
If you can not find your keyboard type in the list, choose Generic 105-Key
- Install the Pixel Desktop on Raspbian Stretch Lite. 10 essential software for the Raspberry Pi 3
- Configure VNC on Raspbian to remotely access the Pixel desktop of the Raspberry Pi
- Make a DIY Recalbox or Retropie retro gaming arcade with joystick and 8 buttons for less than €85
- WebSocket communication with an ESP8266 or Arduino in Python. Test with the ws4py library on Raspberry Pi
- Python library evdev on Raspberry Pi to use a Gamepad in your DIY projects (servomotor, games, robotic…)
- DiskioPi, DIY touch pad kit made from Raspberry Pi 3 comes back with a new design in 2018